The Ford Powerstroke 6.0L is essentially the most infamous for being defective, all of the fashions from 2003-2007 must be prevented.
The 6.4L mannequin from 2008, the 7.3L fashions from 1994 and 2001-2004, and the 6.4L fashions from 2011-2014 are additionally problematic.
Under, you will discover extra about what years are Ford diesel engines to keep away from and why.
Ford Diesel Engines To Keep away from
The Ford Powerstroke diesel engines are very fashionable.
However attributable to some design errors, some years of diesel engines must be prevented. That’s as a result of they’re liable to frequent failure and require fixed repairs.
Let’s get a primary concept concerning the fashions and what years to keep away from.
|12 months||Engine Capability||Issues||Which yr to purchase|
|2003-2007||Powerstroke 6.0L||Head gasket failures, FICM failures, oil cooler, EGR cooler, EGR valve, and VGT points||N/A|
|2008||Powerstroke 6.4L||DPF points, a leaking radiator, cracked pistons, oil cooler points, poor gas economic system, EGR cooler situation||2010|
|2011-2014||Powerstroke 6.7L||Radiator Leaks, EGR Cooler Clogged, EGT Sensor Malfunction, Turbocharger Issues, Injection Pump Issues.||2015 and onwards|
|1994, 2001-2004||Powerstroke 7.3L||Failure Of The CPS, Turbocharger Up-Pipe Leaks, Noise, Gas Filter Housing Leaks, EBPV Failure.||1998-2000|
Now, let’s see what the issues are.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Years to Keep away from?
2003- 2007 fashions of the Ford Powerstroke 6.0L are unanimously notorious amongst Ford truck customers.
These fashions have a number of points that make them the worst Ford diesel engines. The problems of those engines are-
Supply: Diesel IQ
- Head Gasket Failures: The TTY head studs are liable to failure, inflicting the top gasket to fail too.
- Gas Injection Management Module Failure: Engine warmth and vibration negatively influence the FICM, inflicting it to overheat and fail often.
- Oil Cooler Difficulty: The oil cooler will get clogged with particles, decreasing its effectivity and inflicting harm to the gas system and EGR cooler.
- EGR Cooler Difficulty: Much less coolant flows to the EGR cooler when the oil cooler is clogged. This causes it to overheat and probably ends in head gasket failure or coolant leaks.
- EGR Valve Difficulty: The EGR valve is susceptible to clogging from soot, which causes poor efficiency and requires frequent cleansing.
- VGT Points: Soot buildup within the VGT causes it to stay open, impacting throttle physique response and turbo spooling occasions.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.4L Years to Keep away from?
The 2008 Ford Powerstroke is the yr to keep away from if you wish to purchase a Ford 6.4L Powerstroke engine.
The house owners of this truck have been compelled to do main repairs solely after driving 65,000 miles.
Supply: Black Water Engines
The devastating issues the house owners of 6.4L Powerstroke confronted are-
- A Leaking Radiator: Radiators within the 6.4L engine manufactured from plastic are liable to cracking, inflicting coolant leaks and engine overheating.
- DPF Points: Diesel particulate filter will get clogged, lowering engine energy and efficiency.
- Cracked Pistons: Pistons crack when the engine is pushed exhausting for a very long time. Moreover, the manufacturing facility head bolts have a tendency to interrupt at round 600 RWHP attributable to a design mistake made by Ford.
- Oil Cooler Points: The oil cooler fails repeatedly, inflicting engine overheating, and expensive alternative.
- Poor Gas Economic system: The design situation causes the 6.4L engine to make use of extra gas in sluggish site visitors.
- EGR Cooler Difficulty: The EGR cooler situation from the 6.0L engine persists within the 6.4L engine.
Aside from these issues, the Powerstroke house owners have additionally reported some much less frequent however expensive issues.
Like, because the chaffing of the high-pressure oil pump wires, leaking by way of the entrance cowl, acceleration points, clogging of the fuel-water separator, and so forth.
When you should get a Powerstroke 6.4L engine, go for the yr 2010.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.7L Years to Keep away from?
The Powerstroke 6.7Ls have been first manufactured in 2011, and now there are three generations of engine fashions.
The primary era (2011-2014) fashions had some points that have been mounted within the later generations.
Supply: Diesel Army
The frequent points with the primary era were-
- Radiator Leaks: The Powerstroke 6.7L has two radiators and house owners usually face issues with the first one. The radiator usually leaked inflicting the engine to overheat.
- EGR Cooler Clogged: The EGR cooler within the 6.7 model exists to fulfill emissions requirements, however it may develop into clogged with carbon and trigger greater emissions, overheating, stalling, or engine failure.
- EGT Sensor Malfunction: The 6.7 Powerstroke engine has 4 EGT sensors, which might fail for numerous causes, together with all 4 directly.
- Turbocharger Issues: The Powerstroke 6.7L is a strong engine with excessive output. Nevertheless it had a weak ceramic bearing that will break too usually beneath stress.
- Injection Pump Issues: Injection pump failure was a typical drawback within the first-generation 6.7 Powerstroke. It was triggered by way of the fallacious injection pump, the Bosch CP4.2, which was not appropriate for the engine.
Attempt to purchase the later generations of the Ford Powerstroke 6.7L when you favor this engine.
Which Ford Powerstroke 7.3L Years to Keep away from?
That is the primary ever diesel engine that Ford launched, again in 1994. Though 7.3Ls are very fashionable, it is best to keep away from the 1994 and 2001-2004 fashions. The issues of those engine fashions are as follows-
Supply: Diesel IQ
- Failure Of The CPS (Camshaft Place Sensor): The 7.3L Powerstroke engine had points with the CPS. A failing CPS could cause the automobile to not begin or stall.
- Turbocharger Up-Pipe Leaks: This engine experiences failure with the turbocharger up-pipe, inflicting a lack of increase and probably elevating exhaust fuel temperature.
- Noise: The 7.3L Powerstroke made an unusually loud noise, and the foundation trigger remained unknown. Nonetheless, some individuals speculate that the split-shot injectors have been accountable for this situation.
- Gas Filter Housing Leaks: The gas filter housing leaks attributable to cracks within the gas bowl or filter housing. Most individuals might want to take their automobile to knowledgeable for restore, as it may be tough to repair your self.
- EBPV Failure: Defective electrical connections could cause the EBPV to malfunction. When this occurs, beginning the automobile turns into tough, and backfiring might happen, posing a possible hazard to drivers.
When shopping for a Powerstroke 7.3L, it is best to go for 1998-2000 fashions.
So, what years are Ford diesel engines to keep away from? You need to now know the reply to this query.
Nonetheless, we advocate you analysis a automobile earlier than buying.
Ideally, have knowledgeable carry out an inspection earlier than making a purchase order, particularly if it’s a used automobile.